Categories
blog

Did Epic lie when it said Apple was going to block Sign in with Apple for Fortnite users?

The Epic and Apple kerfuffle isn’t going to end any time soon, which means we’re going to have to get used to seeing both firms in headlines together. But it’s a headline from a while ago that’s of interest today.

Yours truly, on iMore, three weeks ago.

Epic Games has today tweeted out that Apple will “no longer allow users to sign into Fortnite using “Sign In with Apple” as soon as September 11, 2020″. That could potentially leave gamers unable to play Fortnite, even if they already have it installed. It could prevent them from accessing their data entirely, too.

The tweet.

Except, it turns out that might all have been a lie at worst. A misunderstanding at best.

Gruber.

I haven’t written about this until now, but I was reminded of it by Judge Yvonne Gonzalez Rogers’s disparagement of Epic Games’s honesty during yesterday’s hearing. I spent a few hours back on September 9 digging into this SIWA story, and multiple sources at Apple told me Epic’s claims were simply false. There was never a September 11 deadline for their SIWA support to stop working, and in fact, Apple’s SIWA team performed work to make sure SIWA continued working for Fortnite users despite the fact that Epic Games’s developer account had been revoked. There was no “extension” because Apple was never going to revoke Epic’s SIWA access.

I said at the time that the only people this would impact were the gamers, and that’s a point Gruber also makes. But the suggestion that Apple didn’t say anything about blocking SIWA is a concern. What else has Epic not been 100% truthful about?

It’s possible Epic just got the wrong end of the stick somewhere along the line. I hope it did. But the phrasing of the tweet – “Apple will no longer allow” – suggests some sort of communication took place.

If it didn’t, this doesn’t look good on Epic at all.

Update:

The plot thickens! Epic’s CEO says it was all Apple.

Awks.